energy efficiency, sustainability, green buildings, solar, hybrid cars and alternate fuels.

"A society built on green design, sustainable energy and closed loop systems, a civilization afloat on a cloud of efficient, non-toxic, recyclable technology." ~~Alex Nikolai Steffan

7.15.2008

I R-38 R U?

The City of Tallahassee energy auditor came today. I was so excited, one would think they were giving something away. Oh, wait, they are!

Free and current energy savings tips, some positive reinforcement for my thermostat settings and a little disappointment on my part when I pointed out my wrapped hot water heater. "Well," he said, the newer units are pretty well insulated already. What you really need to do is insulate the hot water pipe leading from the unit." He then showed me the pipe that needed insulation and chided me for not changing my air filter more frequently.

I did receive good reviews on windows and doors which all seal properly and on the air return and cool temperature coming from the ceiling vents. I was thankful that today wasn't a typical blistering hot Tallahassee day when he crawled the ladder into my attic. (maybe I should have tidied it up a bit?)

The energy auditor did tell me that my ceiling insulation was currently R-22 and that I could get additional insulation up to R-38, and I needed to get insulation throughout the entire attic. Evidently where there is flooring, no insulation was installed.

I cheerfully signed the "Customer Agreement" for the Energy Fitness Assistance Program which provides 80% of the cost of the insulation through the City and I pay the remaining 20%. Total out of pocket cost will be $69.12 for an attic full of insulation. Next step is to call one of the participating contractors.

All of this took less than an hour. In the walk-thru, he even explained that I had a hole in one of my ducts that was leaking cold air into the attic. Then, he offered to tape it closed with duct tape. (Who knew you really use duct tape for---ducts?) I don't think that was part of his job description, but it is a part of the great customer service I received from the City.

Time elapsed from my initial E-mail inquiry to today was less than two weeks.

I can't wait to start tracking my energy savings!

0 comments:

Blog Archive

PRIVACY POLICY

We do not share personal information with third-parties nor do we store information we collect about your visit to this blog for use other than to analyze content performance through the use of cookies, which you can turn off at anytime by modifying your Internet browser's settings. We are not responsible for the republishing of the content found on this blog on other Web sites or media without our permission.

Copyright under Creative Commons: You are free to:

  • Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
  • Credit --credit greentallahassee.net
  • The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.
Google+